This Floating World
interactive audiovisual dance performance
This Floating World is a dance solo performed in an interactive environment of computer generated visuals and sound. It explores the different ways we define ourselves and how this shapes our relationships with those around us.
A collaboration with the choreographer and dancer Jan Lee, The piece is inspired by vines whose form is cast by the buildings against which they grow, and riverbeds that both guide and are moulded by the water they carry.
The dancer’s movement on stage is tracked using a 3D camera. Custom software analyses this movement. In combination with live input from a nearby laptop, this generates visuals for the onstage projection and modulates the musical score.
More detail about the work can be found at thisfloatingworld.com.
- 30 Jan 2015 Arebyte Gallery, London
- 10 Feb 2015 The Place, London
- 28 Feb 2015 Tripspace, London
- 6 Mar 2015 Number 90 Bar, London
- 28 May 2015 Live Performers Meeting, Rome
- 16 Jan 2016 TedX Teen, O2 Indigo, London (interactive installation)
This Floating World is a collaboration with Jan Lee, an artist creating performance at the intersection of dance and music, often fusing it with technology and science.
- Choreographer, Dancer — Jan Lee
- Code, Visuals, Sound Design — Tim Murray-Browne
- Music — Zac Gvirtzman
- Producer — Tadeo Sendon
- Choreography Mentor — Marguerite Galizia
- Choreography Support — Evangelia Kolyra, Adam Kirkham
Documentation film created by Mind The Film.
Press and Reviews
- Resolution Reviews — “the piece drives towards its crescendo with an intensity teetering on the dogged … A startlingly emotive and natural end to a piece with technology at its core, showing just how much you can do with clarity, control and computer programming.” Lilia Prier Tisdall (Resolution critic), 11 Feb 2015
- The Creators Project, Humans and Algorithms Dance Together in This Interactive Performance, 3 Mar 2015
- Etapes, Tim Murray-Browne – The Floating World, 9 Mar 2015
- Inspiratzion, Le couple danse et graphisme toujours en plein succès, 9 Mar 2015
- Corps en Immersion, The Floating World, quand la danse devient algorythmes, 13 Mar 2015
See above for the full team.
This Floating World was created using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England and with support from Syracusae Studios, Sound and Music, Queen Mary University London, Seeper and Music Hackspace. With thanks for additional support from Jenny Moy, Mafe Toledo, Chantal Guevara, Thelma Sharma, Katsura Isobe, Natasha Swingler, Ali Nakipoglu, Benkee Chang and Erica Toogood.